Farnborough, England - 29th November 1997
ThrustSSC Project Status
Individual Status Reports
- ThrustSSC has reached a highest speed through the measured mile to date of 766mph on Wednesday 15th October 1997,
a Mach number of 1.020
- ThrustSSC set a new Unlimited World Land Speed Record of 763.035mph on Wednesday 15th October 1997
- The car is being displayed at events around the UK for the forseeable future
- It is unlikely that ThrustSSC will ever run again having reached the objective of the first ever Supersonic
World Land Speed Record
- The ThrustSSC Team are now disbanding. Those who have them have returned to their jobs. Apart from one or two
dealing with final details, the remainder are now unemployed and seeking work.
- Andy Green has been nominated for "BBC Sports Personality of the Year" and the ThrustSSC Team have been nominated
for "BBC Sports Team of the Year". If you would like to vote for them in support of the nominations, you can find
forms in the Radio Times, on Ceefax and in British national Newspapers - or email your votes to
- England has been very wet this last week...
- The Web Site is still running at about 1 million accesses/week, having achieved around 3 million accesses/day and 11 million/week at the peak (we are still analysing the logs to get the final figure)
... is planning a final public appearance at next week's Mach 1 Club day ...
- ThrustSSC will continue to make appearances around the UK for the foreseeable future
- All equipment apart from ThrustSSC, the Spey 205s and the Pit Station is being returned to its owners or has
been sold off in yesterday's auction
- Find new employment
- Web Site
- This is the last update to the Web Site
- After tomorrow, updates will only be made in the event of a significant event, or to advise of public
- The Web Site will be kept live on the Internet until at least Christmas
- A CD of the Web Site and as many of the digital photographs as possible is due out imminently -
this will be available for £35 + £2 P&P (approximately $50 + $3 S&H). Please allow an addition £5 P&P
(approximately $8 S&H) for overseas orders. If you would like to register interest and reserve an early copy,
please email us at
- Black Rock Desert
- The ThrustSSC Desert Pits have been cleared. The ThrustSSC Team have received an award from the BLM
recognising their excellent treatment of the desert and the spotless condition in which it was left.
- The Discovery Channel documentary has already been shown. The Pioneer documentary is in production, and the
2-hour BBC documentary is scheduled for broadcast in February.
Spirit of America Project Status
(Please note: any details published on this Web Site about the status, speeds and plans of the Spirit of
America Team are not official. Official details are available on the Spirit of America Team's Web Site at
- Spirit of America has reached a peak speed to date of 675mph on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA,
during the October 1996 record attempt
- Spirit of America has reached a 1997 peak speed to date of 636mph on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA
- Bad weather and rising water on the playa have ended the Spirit of America team's 1997 campaign
- The Spirit of America Team have returned to Rio Vista, California, and plan to return to the Black Rock Desert,
Nevada, USA, to take the World Land Speed Record from the ThrustSSC Team in 1998
Jeremy Duck has become part of the humour of the story - despite going missing during the Black Rock Campaign.
Today he made a much-requested public appearance at the Mach 1 Club Open Day - although we never expected so many
requests for his autograph...
About this site
||This site best viewed with Microsoft Internet Explorer 3
© SSC Programme Ltd, 1997