Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA - 16th October 1997
UK readers please note: the Black Rock Desert is on Pacific Daylight Time, 8 hours behind British Summer
ThrustSSC Project Status
The ThrustSSC Team are returning home from the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA, after setting the first ever
supersonic World Land Speed Record (subject to confirmation by the FIA).
Microplex Web Cameras
The very latest status of the car and team on the Black Rock Desert can be seen through the live pictures
Microplex Web Cameras.
Individual Status Reports
- ThrustSSC has reached a highest speed through the measured mile to date of 766mph on Wednesday 15th October 1997,
a Mach number of 1.020
- ThrustSSC set a new Unlimited World Land Speed Record of 763.035mph on Wednesday 15th October 1997 (subject to
confirmation by the FIA)
- The ThrustSSC Team are packing to return home
- The weather is generally cold in the morning, warming up to afternoon temperatures reaching the 70s (Fahrenheit)
- Dust storms are being kicked up on days with high winds
- Nights are bitterly cold now - winter is coming
- Today has started warm with a bright sky and a light breeze
- Accesses are currently running around 8,823,476/week, 2,482,000/day
We've heard rumours that he is planning a reunion back in the UK.
If you've seen him, we'd appreciate it if you'd
let us know where it was.
- ThrustSSC will have a photoshoot then be packed for the return to the UK
- Black Rock Desert
- The Desert Pits site will be cleared, any litter removed and the dunes levelled
- All the track markers will be collected and packed for return to the UK
- Web Site
- The Web Cameras will be taken down today
- Reporting on the Web Site will resume on the return of the computer equipment to England, and will end
in early November. There are some details to be updated, as well as a new set of Team pages and History pages
for which time was not available during the Black Rock Campaign
- The Web Site will be kept live on the Internet until at least Christmas
- A CD of the Web Site and as many of the digital photographs as possible is planned - this will be available
from mid-November for something in the region of £35 or $50. If you would like to register interest and
reserve an early copy, please email us at
Please check our Runs Database for the very latest information
on the progress of ThrustSSC - the database is always updated as soon as possible after the car runs - and always before any
report is written and published.
Spirit of America Project Status
(Please note: any details published on this Web Site about the status, speeds and plans of the Spirit of
America Team are not official. Official details are available on the Spirit of America Team's Web Site at
The Spirit of America Team are on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA, for the head-to-head race against the
ThrustSSC Team to set the first ever supersonic World Land Speed Record.
- Spirit of America has reached a peak speed to date of 675mph on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA,
during the October 1996 record attempt
- Spirit of America has reached a 1997 peak speed to date of 636mph on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA
- The Spirit of America team plan to run again in about 5 days after some engineering work has been completed
Mechanical Designer Glynne Bowsher got the Furry Dice Award today - for driving off from the petrol (gas) pumps
at Empire with the fuel nozzle still in the car.
About this site
||This site best viewed with Microsoft Internet Explorer 3
© SSC Programme Ltd, 1997