Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA - 13th October 1997
UK readers please note: the Black Rock Desert is on Pacific Daylight Time, 8 hours behind British Summer
Both ThrustSSC and Spirit of America will run today. Spirit of America have the first 'slot'. Accredited members
of the media wishing to attend the Press Area opposite the measured mile during ThrustSSC's runs should present
themselves at Access 2 at 1000hrs.
ThrustSSC Project Status
The ThrustSSC Team are on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA, for the head-to-head race against the Spirit
of America Team to set the first ever supersonic World Land Speed Record.
Microplex Web Cameras
The very latest status of the car and team on the Black Rock Desert can be seen through the live pictures
Microplex Web Cameras.
Individual Status Reports
- ThrustSSC has reached a highest speed through the measured mile to date of 728mph on Thursday 25th September 1997
- ThrustSSC set a new Unlimited World Land Speed Record of 714.144mph on Thursday 25th September 1997
- The car is on the desert being prepared for the next runs of the Black Rock Campaign
- The ThrustSSC Team settled well into life in Gerlach and on the Black Rock Desert
- The delays due to weather are frustrating - everyone wants to get the job done
- The dust is really getting onto some people's chests, despite the use of dust masks
Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA
The current status of track preparations is:
Green - Lined and Fodded
Light Green - Lined
Red - Used
Yellow - Fodded
- The weather is generally cold in the morning, warming up to afternoon temperatures reaching the 70s (Fahrenheit)
- Dust storms are being kicked up on days with high winds
- Nights are bitterly cold now - winter is coming
- Today has started very cold with a bright sky and a light breeze
- Accesses are currently running around 5,428,000/week, 906,000/day
Has found Greta Grebe and is swimming around Pyramid Lake with her.
If you see him, we'd appreciate it if you'd
let us know where it was.
- 2 further runs on the Black Rock Desert are planned for today, track and weather permitting:
- Mach 1.015. Full afterburners. Throttling back to maintain constant speed through the measured mile.
- Mach 1.036. Full afterburners. Throttling back to maintain constant speed through the measured mile.
- Black Rock Desert
- Continue track preparations, weather permitting
- Web Site
- Continue reporting
- Load new Team pages
Please check our Runs Database for the very latest information
on the progress of ThrustSSC - the database is always updated as soon as possible after the car runs - and always before any
report is written and published.
Spirit of America Project Status
(Please note: any details published on this Web Site about the status, speeds and plans of the Spirit of
America Team are not official. Official details are available on the Spirit of America Team's Web Site at
The Spirit of America Team are on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA, for the head-to-head race against the
ThrustSSC Team to set the first ever supersonic World Land Speed Record.
- Spirit of America has reached a peak speed to date of 675mph on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA,
during the October 1996 record attempt
- Spirit of America has reached a 1997 peak speed to date of 531mph on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA
- The Spirit of America team plan to run again today
Would you believe this story? John Lovatt and John Coppinger were relaxing in the hot springs at Trego when two
naked cowboys on horseback rode up. The horse jumped in the hot pool with them and the cowboys started throwing
sticks of dynamite around. Hmmm...
About this site
||This site best viewed with Microsoft Internet Explorer 3
© SSC Programme Ltd, 1997