Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA - 26th September 1997
UK readers please note: the Black Rock Desert is on Pacific Daylight Time, 8 hours behind British Summer
ThrustSSC Project Status
The ThrustSSC Team are on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA, for the head-to-head race against the Spirit
of America Team to set the first ever supersonic World Land Speed Record.
Microplex Web Cameras
The very latest status of the car and team on the Black Rock Desert can be seen through the live pictures
Microplex Web Cameras.
Individual Status Reports
- ThrustSSC has reached a highest speed through the measured mile to date of 728mph on Thursday 25th September 1997
- Subject to confirmation by the FIA, ThrustSSC set a new Unlimited World Land Speed Record of 714.144mph on Thursday 25th September 1997
- The car is on the desert being prepared for the next runs of the Black Rock Campaign
- The ThrustSSC Team are settled into life in Gerlach and on the Black Rock Desert
- The Team is spending today relaxing and recovering
Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA
The current status of track preparations is:
Green - Lined and Fodded
Light Green - Lined
Red - Used
Yellow - Fodded
- The weather is generally cool a light breeze. Occasional dust storms are being kicked up by higher winds.
Afternoon temperatures can reach the high 80s (Fahrenheit).
- Today has bright and windy, with dust storms being kicked up
- Accesses are currently running around 4,542,000/week, 974,000/day
... has not been found. No ransom note has been received.
- Tomorrow will be an engineering day
- Black Rock Desert
- Continue track preparations
- Web Site
- Move the News pages from Newbury to Boston
- Continue reporting
- Load new Team pages
- Load the 'Story to date' pages
Please check our Runs Database for the very latest information
on the progress of ThrustSSC - the database is always updated as soon as possible after the car runs - and always before any
report is written and published.
Spirit of America Project Status
(Please note: any details published on this Web Site about the status, speeds and plans of the Spirit of
America Team are not official. Official details are available on the Spirit of America Team's Web Site at
The Spirit of America Team are on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA, for the head-to-head race against the
ThrustSSC Team to set the first ever supersonic World Land Speed Record.
- Spirit of America has reached a peak speed to date of 675mph on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA,
during the October 1996 record attempt
- Spirit of America has reached a 1997 peak speed to date of 391mph on the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA
- The team did a slow check run today and plan to run again tomorrow
The Black Rock Saloon closed at 5am this morning...
About this site
||This site best viewed with Microsoft Internet Explorer 3
© SSC Programme Ltd, 1997